You may want to cancel your sole proprietorship or partnership if:
- You decide to change the name of your business after it is registered. A new name reservation and business name registration is required. The new name will be treated as a new business and a new entity number will be issued for your business.
- If you no longer wish to be in business.
- If you have sold your business. The sole proprietorship or partnership must be cancelled when the owners exit the business, because the ownership cannot be transferred.
Filing your Cancelation:
- Login to the Corporate Registry application.
- Enter your entity number or name in the ‘update entity’ field.
- Click on your entity name that displays.
- Select the option ‘cancellation’.
- Complete the application and submit.
- The summary screen within the application will provide an overview of your cancelation.
If you’ve changed your mind about ending your sole proprietorship or partnership you must start by completing a name reservation. To review the requirements of a name reservation, go to Step 2: Name Reservation.