Judgment Registry Help

The Judgment Registry is a database that contains all active federal and provincial judgments, provincial maintenance judgments and federal writs of execution that are registered against goods and lands in Saskatchewan. It replaces the Saskatchewan Writ Registry, which in turn replaced the general records of the former land titles offices.

The Judgment Registry was established under Section 18(1) of The Enforcement of Money Judgments Act.

Registering a Judgment in the Judgment Registry

In order for a judgment to appear in the Judgment Registry, it must first be registered in the Saskatchewan Personal Property Registry (SPPR). Please refer to the SPPR page to obtain information on how complete a registration.

When you register a judgment, it will appear in both the SPPR and the Judgment Registry.

Under The Land Titles Act, 2000, judgments must be registered in the Judgment Registry before they can affect land in Saskatchewan.

Sections 170 and 176 of The Land Titles Act, 2000
Section 98 of The Land Titles Regulations, 2001

Registration Identification Number (RIN)

A registration identification number (RIN) is a unique number assigned by the SPPR that is applied to a particular registration. It is recommended that you request a RIN when registering a judgment, as this will guard against unauthorized discharges.

Registering a Judgment against a Title or Interest

There are two ways a judgment can be registered against a title or interest:

Auto Attachment
Auto attachment of a judgment may occur when a new title is created or a new interest is registered against a title.  If the name of the owner or the name of the interest holder exactly matches the name of the debtor or the respondent in the Judgment Registry, the judgment will automatically register against the title or interest.

The system will attach a judgment if the name in the Judgment Registry matches the first two given names and the surname, or the corporation name, character for character.

Sections 168, 172 and 178 of The Land Titles Act, 2000
Sections 99.1 and 99.2 of The Land Titles Regulations, 2001

Requested Attachment

You can search the land titles registry to determine what titles or interests the debtor or the respondent holds.  You can then apply to register the judgment against any title or interest held by the debtor or the respondent.  This can be done even if there is not an exact match between the name of the owner or the interest holder and the name of the debtor or the respondent.

To register a judgment against a title or interest, use the Application for Judgment Registration.

Sections 171 and 177 of The Land Titles Act, 2000

Discharging a Judgment from the Judgment Registry

It is not possible to discharge a judgment directly from the Judgment Registry.

When the judgment has been satisfied, the sheriff, creditor or creditor's designate must submit a discharge to the SPPR. Once the discharge has been registered in the SPPR, the judgment will no longer appear in the Judgment Registry or on any titles it has been associated with.

Section 174 of The Land Titles Act, 2000
Section 100 of The Land Titles Regulations, 2001

Discharging a Judgment from a Title or an Interest

To discharge a judgment from a title or an interest, the creditor or the sheriff must complete an application for interest discharge and sign the interest authorization form.  The interest register number and the interest number of the judgment being discharged must be specified on the application for interest discharge. 

Sections 175 and 181 of The Land Titles Act, 2000

Need Help?

Judgment Registry Search
The Judgment Registry (FAQS)
EMJ Reference Package Intro
EMJ Reference Package -- SPPR Reference Sheet
EMJ Reference Package -- OLS Reference Sheet